Chit Chats Express does not agree to carry, and will not accept any liability for items which it is not permitted to carry, cannot safely carry, or for any goods described below:
- Goods that are classified as hazardous material, non-approved * dangerous goods, prohibited or restricted articles by IATA (International Air Transport Association), ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization), ADR (European Road Transport Regulation on dangerous goods), DOT (U.S. Department of Transport), USPS (United States Postal Service), UPU (Universal Postal Union) and any applicable government department or other relevant organization;
- Goods with no customs declaration made when required by applicable customs regulations;
- Goods with defective or inadequate packaging or that cannot be carried safely by Chit Chats Express;
- Prohibited Goods: Shipments whose content, exterior design, transport or storage violate a statutory or authorities’ prohibition, in particular any export, import or customs law provisions of the countries of origin, destination or transit, or which require special facilities (e.g. for temperature-controlled goods), safety precautions or permits; these include Shipments or goods whose transport is prohibited according to the UPU Acts, and those whose contents legally violate the intellectual property rights of its rightful owner, including counterfeit or unlicensed copies of products (e.g. brand piracy);
- Shipments whose content or exterior make-up could injure or infect persons or cause damage to property;
- Shipments which contain live animals or human remains;
- Shipments containing narcotics, nicotine, nicotine compounds, vapor tor psychotropic substances (Shipments containing electronic cigarettes require Chit Chats Express approval and compliance with applicable requirements);
- Non—approved* shipments whose transport and/or storage is subject to dangerous goods regulations; also excluded are all those non-approved* goods which are not completely unrestricted according to the latest IATA and ICAO dangerous goods regulations. In addition, Shippers are required to adhere and comply with Chit Chats Express’s ORM-D Policy. The most current version of Chit Chats Express’s ORM-D Policy is available here.
- Shipments with an actual value of over USD $2,500;
- Shipments containing cash or other means of payment, precious metals, art work, jewelry, watches, precious stones or other articles of value or securities for which, in the event of damage, no stoppage and no cancellation and replacement procedure can be carried out; for the avoidance of doubt the following valuable goods are exempted from this rule: Shipments using the Registered Mail special service, which contain stamps, telephone cards, vouchers for goods and low-value goods in these classes (e.g. fashion jewelry and promotional articles), up to an actual value of 30 Special Drawing Rights of the International Monetary Fund (SDR) per shipment, and individual tickets and entrance tickets;
- Shipments for which no or insufficient postage has been paid and which are posted with the intention of surreptitiously obtaining the transport service without payment of the remuneration payable for it;
- Firearms or parts thereof, ammunition, explosives;
- Explosive, flammable or radioactive materials and non-approved* dangerous goods;
- Shipments that are addressed to natural or legal persons which are enlisted on a sanctions lists which shall be transported to countries for which embargoes are in place;
- Obscene or immoral articles, pornography;
- Other articles the importation or circulation of which is prohibited in the country of destination;
- For Domestic shipments, lithium batteries that are a) packed with equipment but not installed in equipment, and b) without the equipment they operate (individual batteries) are prohibited from being shipped through Chit Chats Express’s Expedited network. In addition, Shippers are required to adhere and comply with Chit Chats Express’s Battery Transportation Policy. The most current version of Chit Chats Express’s Battery Transportation Policy is available here. For international shipments, Chit Chats Express does not accept batteries.
- Chit Chats Express does not agree to carry, and will not accept any liability for liquids unless tendered in the below described manner (as noted in the USPS DMM 601.3.4): i.Shippers are required to mark the outer container of the tendered mailpiece containing liquids to indicate the nature of the contents. ii.All shipments containing liquids should be packaged in the following way: 1.Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close the mailpieces containing liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types). 2.Liquids being shipped in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings or recessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging. 3.Glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of more than 4 fluid ounces must be triple-packaged according to the following requirements:
- Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakage in case of breakage.
- Place the primary container inside another sealed, leak proof secondary container, such as a can or plastic bag.
- Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect the contents.
- Mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA’s Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test. iii.All shipments containing liquids are required to be packaged as to insure safe carriage with ordinary care in handling.
*Approval may be revoked by Chit Chats Express at any time.
The Shipper, whether principal or agent, warrants to Chit Chats Express that the content of the Shipment may be lawfully carried aboard airline, aircraft or other federally regulated carriers and is not a Prohibited Good, is properly packaged or sheathed for the purpose if necessary. Shipper further agrees to disclose true and accurate information if requested by Chit Chats Express. Notwithstanding any other rights of Chit Chats Express, Shipper shall indemnify and hold harmless Chit Chats Express from any all claims of third parties that may incur as a result of a transport of Prohibited Goods or other excluded or illegal goods. The contractual liability of Chit Chats Express on the basis of culpable conduct of Chit Chats Express or its agents remains unaffected. Should a Shipment contain a Prohibited Good or should it by its nature (size, format, weight, contents etc.) or in another way not comply with the terms stated herein Chit Chats Express shall be entitled to: i) refuse to accept the item or ii) return an item which has already been handed over and accepted or hold such an item for collection or, iii) transport the item without notifying the Shipper, using a different route from the agreed route (e.g. overland and by sea rather than by air freight as planned) – should this be necessary and/or statutorily prescribed, and to subsequently request an appropriate additional charges. The same shall apply if the Shipper refuses to provide information at Chit Chats Express’s request if Chit Chats Express has the suspicion that a Shipment contains Prohibited Goods or in case of a suspicion about any other breach of contract. Chit Chats Express shall not be obliged to inspect the Shipments for any exclusions of transport. However, if Chit Chats Express suspects that the Shipment may contain Prohibited Goods, Chit Chats Express shall be entitled to open and check the Shipments. Furthermore, Chit Chats Express will also undertake regular checks as required by applicable air security regulations. If goods are discovered which may not be transported as air freight as originally agreed or planned or for which there is a well-founded suspicion that they may not be transported as originally agreed, Chit Chats Express, notwithstanding shall be entitled to transport the goods overland or by sea.